With the constantly developing issues surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, Greyhound Racing NSW believes it is crucial to keep all participants up to date on all news involving the industry.
As such, we are encouraging all participants with questions pertaining to the COVID-19 situation, to email us here at GRNSW.
Each day I will do my best to answer questions from participants and publish them across our website and social media platforms around lunchtime.
If you have any questions, please email them to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any important developments such as this week’s rescheduling of the Ladbrokes Golden Easter Egg, will also be published in media releases across our GRNSW network as required.
Here’s what our teams at GRNSW are being asked right now, with the responding answers (and please keep in mind that this is both an unprecedented and fast-moving situation).
1.Q: At a racetrack, how do I prove that I am not a member of the public but there to race?
A: All trainers and attendants are advised to display their ID cards so that staff can confirm they are permitted to enter.
2. Q: Will GRNSW projects continue to be undertaken whilst COVID-19 is an issue?
A: GRNSW projects, track renovations and week to week maintenance operations will continue as normal with the current and scheduled projects and track upgrades being managed by the Tracks and Infrastructure team and contractors.
3. Q: Could you please inform all participants of your biosecurity protocol for race days? In particular, what is in place to stop vets and stewards from transmitting germs.
A: Strict COVID-19 protocols are in place, which are adhered to at all racetracks. GWIC have published a 16 point document on the protocols, and I urge everyone to follow this link and take a look at the document.
4. Q: If you’re not feeling well and you decide to scratch, does your dog receive 10 days (penalty) from racing?
A: There will be no penalty for scratching due to participant illness.
5. Q: Have there been any restrictions put in place regarding the nominations of interstate greyhounds?
A: No there are no restrictions on nominations of interstate greyhounds, but obviously at present a lot of people are preferring to stay closer to home than travel interstate, and that is totally understandable.
6. Q: Are owners able to visit kennels? I know the thoroughbreds have said owners are not to visit stables. What is the case here?
A: This is a decision between trainers and owners. If owners are to visit kennels we recommend they strictly follow the advice of NSW Health and the state and federal governments, by practicing good hygiene, social distancing and all other recommendations.
7. Q: You have postponed the Easter Egg until June, but we’re hearing that the current situation may be still going in six months. What happens in June if coronavirus is still a problem as expected?
A: GRNSW and the GBOTA needed to make a decision about the status of the Ladbrokes Golden Easter Egg, and after a lot of consultation, the best decision we believed was to move it back nine weeks effectively. As we get closer to that time, we can reassess the situation and make a further decision if necessary. Our three options were to cancel it, run it when it was originally scheduled, or reschedule. We believe the decision we made was the best option.
Keep your questions coming in and everyone please stay safe and be vigilant. Have a good weekend.