When you think about hazardeous items in the home, there are obvious items that come to mind such as knives, scissors, poisonous liquids, and insecticides - which we usually keep locked away in a cupboard or drawer and out of harm's way.
There are, however, a few unsuspecting items you should add to your list to safeguard your pooch from consuming common household items that can be detrimental to your dogs' health.
Here are five things that you probably have around your house but are toxic to dogs:
1. Fabric softener: Fabric softener is highly toxic for dogs and contain cationic detergents that are corrosive. This means that they affect the mucus membranes in the eyes and skin, and can cause fluid build in the lungs. Keep all fabric softener products (pouches, bottles, and sheets) well away from dogs.
2. Rawhide dog chews: Can host harmful bacteria such as Salmonella, which can cause harm to both you and your four-legged companion. It’s important to follow the correct storage procedures, as well as the consumption and expiry guidelines.
3. Dishwashing tablets: You might be surprised to know that dishwashing tablets are much more dangerous for dogs than regular soap. The individually wrapped packages can be irresistible for dogs and have the potential to cause a lot of harm.
4. Hand creams and face creams: More often than not, these creams contain Vitamin D which is poisonous for dogs. High doses of Vitamin D can cause seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, or an abnormal heart rhythm.
5. Asthma puffers: Commonly contain Albuterol which can be deadly for dogs when delivered in a massive dose. Dogs often chew the inhaler which punctures the container and delivers the albuterol in big hit.
If you observe sudden physical changes in your dog or suspect your dog has consumed something poisonous, it’s best to contact your vet immediately.