Identifying anaphylactic shock

By gapnsw.com.au
Just like humans, dogs can develop allergies and experience allergic reactions from exposure to foreign materials. Symptoms can range from very mild to life-threatening anaphylactic shock.
There are a host of things that your dog may develop allergies to, the most common environmental allergens include:

-       Grass
-       Pollen
-       Dust
-       Mould

Your pooch can also have allergic reactions to insect bites such as mosquito, spider, and flea bites as well as food proteins.

How do I know if my dog is having a reaction?

Mild to moderate anaphylaxis:

-       Food allergies can cause skin and ear infections, as well as more obvious signs such as vomiting and diarrhoea.
-       Dogs can also develop hives or extreme face or limb swelling in the area they have been exposed to the allergen (commonly found with insect bites).
-       Respiratory reactions which are often linked to environmental allergens which can cause frequent and sudden sneezing.
Mild reactions can generally be treated with antihistamines and/or cortisol creams, however your Vet can inform you on the best course of action.

Severe anaphylaxis:

If your dog is having severe anaphylactic shock, they can experience difficulty breathing, heavy drooling and their gums can turn to a pale/bluish colour.
If you see signs of severe anaphylactic shock, do not wait and visit your Vet immediately.